Joint 2013 MBI-NIMBioS-CAMBAM Summer Graduate Workshop
Connecting Biological Data with Mathematical Models
Workshop dates: June 17-28, 2013
Location: NIMBioS, Claxton Bldg., on the campus of the University of Tennessee, Knoxville
This graduate workshop will have instructors from across North America whose research expertise is mathematical modeling in biological systems using real data. Some of the techniques to be covered include:
- Maximum likelihood and Bayesian approaches to inference
- Parameter estimation
- Model identifiability
- Uncertainty and sensitivity analysis
- Data assimilation
Applications of connecting data to models will come from:
- Ecology (including global change biology)
- Systems biology
The workshop will include lectures on techniques and modeling using specific data sets, and there will be daily computer activities focusing on learning techniques. In addition, each student will work on a research project over the duration of the program with a team of four or five participants. Researchers from the mathematical and biological sciences will be featured speakers.
The application process is now closed.
- Tom Banks (North Carolina State University)
- Ben Bolker (McMaster University)
- Ariel Cintron-Arias (East Tennessee State University)
- Marisa Eisenberg (University of Michigan)
- Paul Hurtado (Math Biosciences Institute)
- Denise Kirschner (University of Michigan)
- Simeone Marino (University of Michigan)
- Vasileios Maroulas (University of Tennessee-Knoxville)
- Kiona Ogle (Arizona State University)
Click here for a descriptive flyer.
Members of the organizing committee: Ben Bolker (McMaster University); Ariel Cintron-Arias (East Tennessee State University); Marisa Eisenberg (University of Michigan, Ann Arbor); Gregor Fussmann (McGill University); Suzanne Lenhart (University of Tennessee, Knoxville); Brian Leung (McGill University); Russell Zaretzki (University of Tennessee, Knoxville)
Mathematical Biosciences Institute (MBI)
National Institute for Mathematical and Biological Synthesis (NIMBioS)
Centre for Applied Mathematics in Bioscience and Medicine (CAMBAM)
If you have questions or need more information, please contact: Suzanne Lenhart, NIMBioS Associate Director for Education and Outreach, at lenhart.math.utk.edu or (865) 974-4270.